Looking back in time
We have traded in our trustworthy workhorse a little more than a year ago. We want to pay a little tribute to our SX4’s dedicated services and companionship by looking back in time to the very beginning on why we chose her over the others.
During the begin of the recession back in 2008, the entire nation was under the scheme of downsizing and started to evaluate economics in entirely different perspectives. Unemployment were skyrocketed and so did the fuel prices. For the first time in history, Americans were paying attention to smaller cars. Pickup truck and SUV sales were all time low. Us too, jumped onto the bandwagon and got a new vehicle for pure transportation needs and replaced our beloved but costly 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited.
We had our criteria though. Other than low ownership costs in terms of acquiring (manual gear box yields the lowest MSRP), operating (30+ mpg freeway on regular gas) and maintaining (timing chain is a must), we wanted the car to be unique, quality made, best-bang-for-the-buck, and somewhat sporty to drive. We knew this new vehicle would be no equivalent to our ferocious 300 hp STI that would hit 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and reach quarter mile mark in 13.9 seconds at 102 mph all achieved on expensive premium fuel. We also didn’t want to just blindly choose the type of cars frequently seen at any 99 Ranch Market parking lot.
So initially we went to a Honda dealership and test drove the 2008 Honda Fit Sport. In that short test drive, we found nothing sporty about it. Handling was seem to be decent but the car just felt flimsy. Its $18,500 sticker price was a bit steep. There wasn’t any 0% APR financing to entice us.
Then the Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan caught our attention. The more we looked, the more it appeal to us.
Here are some of the highlights:
- 0% APR financing for 60 months = Free Money
- $750 Cash Back in Gas Card = Travel over 5,000 miles for free
- Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: 100% Japan = Quality
- Final Assembly Point: Kosai, Japan = Good workmanship
- Engine and Transmission Country of Origin: Japan = Peace of Mind
- Rear Disc Brakes = Did I say I hate drums?
- 17” Alloy Wheels = Did I say I hate hubcaps?
- Sport Body Kit = Sexy
- 2.0L 143hp and 136 lb-ft = The minimum I expect on anything with 4-wheels
- No Electronic Stability Program or Traction Control = They are for dummies. I ain’t one.
- MSRP $15,758 included $660 on destination and handling, and $99 on floor mats = One of the Cheapest Japan made cars
Suzuki demonstrated how our SX4 “beats” Corolla, Civic, and Mazda 3i, see chart below:
Want to see more detail on what we got exactly for $15,758. See Window Sticker below:
We proudly owned it for 6-years and put over 80,000 miles on her with original clutch and brakes. In addition to daily commute grind, she took us to the Eastern Sierra, San Diego, and Lake Tahoe. We seen more rare Italian supercars on the road more often than another SX4 Sport Sedan. Exotic indeed. LZG